Deadline: May 31st, 2020
We’re excited to announce that The Grand Theatre is hosting a playwriting competition. In order to encourage creativity during this time at home and to continue fostering a love for theatre even while our stage is empty, we’re looking for talented playwrights to submit their work.
We’ll be accepting applications in two categories: ten-minute plays or full-length plays. Plays may be written on any subject. Submissions will be judged by a panel (to be announced) and the winners will have their plays staged — ten minute plays will be staged in an evening of winners, and the full-length winner will be produced as a small scale main stage performance.
- Entry Fee: We ask that you make a donation (of any amount) to a local charity, non-profit, or organization or purchase from a local small business as your entry fee. Share your contribution with us in your entry form, and we’ll count it!
- Participation is open to all ages. One entry per person.
- By submitting an entry/entries, the playwright is granting permission to the Grand Theatre to stage their entry as part of an evening of performances OR as a main stage production if chosen as a winner. Submission grants only one performance, and the playwright retains the opportunity to be a part of the casting and production process if they choose to do so.
- The entry should be an original unpublished play. It can, however, have been performed before, though we prefer brand new works. Plays may also be adaptations of classic writing, so long as the original writing is in the public domain.
- Entries may be either:
- Ten-Minute Play: Submit an original play that, when performed, is roughly ten minutes in length. Up to ten winners may be chosen. Winners will be produced in a single evening of performances at the Grand Theatre. The prize for winning is the production of the submitted work; there is no monetary prize.
- Original Full-Length Play: Submit an original play of any length. Only one winner will be chosen. The winner will be produced as a small scale main stage production at the Grand Theatre. The prize for winning is the production of the submitted work; there is no monetary prize.
- Please type your entry in a reasonable font and include stage directions where necessary. Please submit a .pdf of your entry so that all formatting will remain intact and no edits can be accidentally made while your submission is being reviewed.
- Entries containing all content are welcome, but please note that preference will be given to those that would be appropriate for most audiences.
- Entries must be received by the deadline to be considered.
- All entries are final, but playwrights will have the opportunity for feedback and revision between selection as a winner and performance.
- Entries will be judged by a panel of judges.
- The winners will be notified by email and announced publicly.
See next page for entry submission instructions.
If possible, please submit using this Google Form.
If you do not have a GMail account, or have trouble using the online form, you may submit your entry directly by emailing the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Your Name:
- Your Email:
- What is the title of your work?
- Is it a ten-minute play or a full-length play?
- Is your work original?
- Entry Fee: We ask that you make a donation (of any amount) to a local charity, non-profit, or organization or purchase from a local small business as your entry fee. How did you accomplish this task?
- The prize for a winning submission is the production of your play as either part of an evening of performances (ten-minute play) or as a small scale main stage performance (full-length play). There is no monetary prize for this competition. Please acknowledge this in writing:
- Please attach your file as a pdf.